As you know, I am turning thirty in a matter of hours. Hard to believe my twenties are coming to an end. When I turned 20, I was a sophomore in college. I sat on my porch swing at my apartment off the Bear Trail recollecting my teen years with my roommate, dreaming of how my 20's would be. How much it has changed. And how I have changed. Here are just a few things I've found to be true of the last few years (and pictures when I could find them)
I worked three wonderful summer at Falls Creek and living in a bunk bed for over seven weeks
I was accepted into StuFu and went on countless trips
I graduated from Baylor - a 5th generation and 3rd generation
Visited Georgia
Visited South Carolina
I was commissioned by the North American Mission Board as a USC2
It included moving to Florida. So I set out on my own
Not before purchasing my first car ever! And having my first car loan
I lived in a church in the inner-city
Suffered my first family death
Then moved to closer to the beach
Made close friends
Traveled to see family
Moved back to OK/TX
Ran my first race (or tried to)
Moved into seminary housing and lived in the DFW metroplex
Made life-long friends
Visited Iowa
Graduated with my Master's degree in counseling
Secured my first ever real job that wasn't term-limited that included my own office
Saw my grandmother remarry
Ran my first marathon relay
Took up the art of swing dancing
Went on a personal mission trip to the West Coast
Visited Oregon
Visited Washington
Made more friends
Hosted dinner parties
Met people with birthday's near mine
Watched my family doubly grow!
Two nephews
A niece
And the lone family last name heir
If you had asked me what I would be doing when I turned 30, I would have probably told you I would be married, have two maybe three kids, and live in a house in the 'burbs.
Now?
I'm single, have sand stuck in my toes from my time in Florida, a master's degree framed in my office at my job where I work helping clients solve the problem, spend my spare time swing dancing, and hanging out with my friends all the while living in Waco, or rather the livin' the country life.
Honestly, I don't think I'd trade my experiences for anything. I've grown so much in the past ten years. I have laughed and cried more than I ever dreamed I would. I've suffered homesickness, broken-hearts, and loved so deeply for people I just me. I have served God and grew my faith in ways I never knew was possible. For all that. I am grateful.
My prediction for my 30's? Well.... I predict God will do amazing things I have yet to see and will take me places I do not yet know.
Up High of 20's: The times and memories of being with my friends and family
Down Low of 20's: The first six months of living in Florida






2 comments:
Love it, Leah! I'm so happy to have known you through your (and my) 20's. You are so beautiful, inside and out! Bring it on 30's!
Leah, you have grown into a wonderful, fun and wise young woman. It has been a joy to have you as a neighbor (and niece too) and I look forward to many more years and seeing all the wonderful things that God has in store for you.
Post a Comment