Saturday, November 8, 2008

Libraries

I was talking with my mother this week about how this weekend I had a hot date....with the library! We talked about how I LOVED the library as a child. Yes, I was that kid whose nose was always stuck in a book and normally had a book handy. I could read in the car, at football games, at home, outside, inside, everywhere! Car trips were never a problem for me as I never got car sick from reading - good thing too as we often took multiple long-distance trips! One of the first things we did everywhere we moved was finding our local public library! In middle school is was a sense of independence as I could actually ride my bike to the library all by myself!! I met friends there while also diving into my favorite pastime. Then came college where required reading came in full force and only during summer breaks could I dive into my personal reading collection - or mainly that of the public library! I had to have read over 20 books my first summer in college as all I did was mostly answer telephones and greeted people when they came into the office. I truly fell in love with the public library system while I lived in FL. It became a safe haven for me as my world was in turmoil. The downtown location, nestled between skyscrapers, could rival any other beautiful building! In the main foyer, a five-story opening with a floating majestic staircase leading between the second to third floor and the fourth to fifth floor! The third floor hosted a fountain with a peaceful setting overlooking the city in its outdoor courtyard. The top floor held a large room full of computers with ornate crown-moldings on the ceiling. I intentionally lost myself in the library every time I went! Sometimes on the weekends, there would be live music playing on the third floor, yet could be heard all over the place.
Now back to this weekend. Unfortunately, I not have a hate relationship with the library as I have spent over 10 hours with it in the past three days writing and researching papers in grad school. No longer does it have 'my kind of books' but rather ones I can barely comprehend such as on general and special revelation. huh?
One day I'll be back to my old ways of enjoying the library...for now I'll keep my three library cards and use them during Christmas and summer breaks when reading becomes fun again! Oh and if you ever happen to be in Jax, go visit this library I've tried describe, it's well worth it!

Up High: Almost finished with my two HUGE papers
Down Low: Still have many more before the end of semester!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am (and was) much the same when it comes to reading. The library was my escape from anything and everything. It's funny, I remember driving past it in Jax a couple of times and my curiosity getting the better of me, wanting to go in and see it.