Monday, September 28, 2009

Here's a church, there's a church, everywhere's a church church

You may not know that I have to join a local church here in order to keep my discounted rate for school. I actually have until Dec of this year, but really I could put it off until April when I start registering for classes. Overall, I visited 15 different churches – and that’s only in the metroplex. Three of them are in the top 15 largest congregations. One was a recent church plant still meeting in a school cafeteria. Others had numerous satellite campuses. A few had congregations of about 200 or less. Half had at least two services, some up to five, while others just had one. Oh and yes the music ranged from dusty hymnals to hands raising people shakin' music. Here are some lessons I've learned:

• When visiting a larger church, 2 hr heels are not best – wear flats or 8hr heels – there IS a difference - I got blisters after visiting a megachurch.
• Despite any SBC affiliations, women may still preach the sermon.
• One church wanted to me to move a seat over, since I was a single making room for more people - it bothers me because I was somewhat too close to people I didn't know
• Every time I went, I took my Bible: at one church, I was the only one on my row with one
• Dress: some places I was too dressy with my skirt and flip-flops. Other places I was underdressed in my skirt and heels.
• At one church, I was the ONLY person in the service when it started – I only wish I were lying. More people did come later, but when they started worship, I was it. HA!
• At some places, no one said a word to me. While at others, I couldn’t leave without five people stopping me to say hello and welcome
• One church invited the entire congregation for lunch at a member’s house – it was a smaller one
• While another church had their very own cafeteria in their building
• Just because you’re a visitor doesn’t mean people are friendly – especially if you’re sitting in their unreserved reserved pew
• Now, I’ll be honest – I didn’t go to SS at all the churches – some don’t have it; the ones where I did….oh vey; one sent us to the college – sorry but 19yr college kids and I don’t have lots in common; another one tried to send us to the college, but we stopped her just in time; in one singles class a man wore a kilt, when asked why (thinking maybe due to heritage), he replied b/c I wanted to. He’s a Reason.
• Music varied from live bands with cool graphics/lighting, organ and hymnals, full robed choirs, or even three praise team members

I write all of this because as of Aug 9th, I joined a church – all by myself – fully invested – not partial, but fully. The one I chose welcomed me each time and the sense of community overwhelmed me in a good way. I even now have some pew buddy friends to sit with. It’s not my parent’s church – sorry dad but there is no choir. It’s more like Neptune – which I grew to love. I'm not a number in a large church, I'm a member of the community. There's only one service and the fact there's no pastor doesn't faze me a bit. I love it and it's my church.

Oh and here's an anticipated picture from last weekend's wedding. The bride was really busy so we didn't get a pic with her, but here's Mrs. T-Accountant.

Up High: Indy trip for my birthday!!
Down Low: one test, two posts before I can leave - oh vey!

2 comments:

darlene said...

Leah, there are lots of lessons in your testimony about finding a church home. Glad you found one that was just right for you. They are blessed to have you join them.

Aunt Kathryn said...

Leah, that was a great post Your search was very thoughtful, sounds like you chose well. This church IS blessed to have you.