Friday, July 6, 2012

Portlandia: The 'other' Rose Capital

This is the long awaited post everyone has been wanting to see and read about.  So here it is with LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of pics to view.  I tried to get myself in every picture - not because I'm vain like that, but I tend to like to look at photos with people in them rather than just of scenery.  That's just me.  Not every photo includes me, but most do.  So also be aware of self-portraits too!

 Me on the airplane excited to start my adventure to the northwest!
 The view from my seat on the plane after we landed in my new state - Oregon!
 Since the family I was somewhat staying with wasn't able to take me to the downtown Saturday Market after church the next day, they let their 7yr show me around. We're waiting for the (free) MET aka train to take us downtown.
 The Silver Man aka H's favorite

 That night I went swing dancing!!  So much fun dancing with others in Portland and learning their styles!  There are a lot more people dancing than what we have back home.  
 Early the next morning, I picked up the family's daughter 'Barbie' and headed to the first day of Sports Camp!  At the Sports Camp, each 'coach' makes up a name to be called by the campers.  'Barbie' is not her real name, rather her camp name.  If you look close, you'll notice mine is 'DarLynn' ;-)
 Since I knew Monday would be a long day and after the event filled weekend, I decided not to sight-see Monday afternoon between Sports camps, but rather rest.  So I have no pics of this day.

Day Two:
 For lunch after Day two of morning sports camps, we headed to a local burger joint called "Burgerville" where they get all their stuff locally.  I also noticed they lacked something - Dr Pepper! *no longer in Waco*
 After consuming the tasty burger, I became a little confused as to where to throw my trash away.  These Portlanders really are green, tree-huggin', granola people!
 Then we headed to Powell's bookstore which is the largest independent bookstore.  It's HUGE!  This was just one section.  They have multiple sections and floors separated into categories.  I even bought a book for my plane ride home that'll help me remember my time in OR.
 Fun with glasses
 Barbie's shades
 We then headed to a place I was somewhat excited about visiting because I've seen them on the Travel Channel and Food Network.  They have lots of fun doughnuts like cap-n-crunch, foot loop, oreo, and even bacon toppings!
 The case of all their doughnuts.  They're actually open 24/7 and have two locations and always seem to have a line no matter what time of day.
 Their specialty is a voodoo doll with chocolate icing, raspberry jelly filling, and a pretzel stick through the heart.
 One of the unique things I found about OR is that like NJ, it's illegal to pump your own gas!  Fine by me if you want to pump my gas!
 Day Three of Sports Camp
 We found a Sonic!  Since it was the first day of summer, happy hour all day!
 We needed to refuel before we headed towards Mt. Hood.

 Then we stopped by Multnomah Falls for the breathtaking waterfall before needing to be back for evening sports camp.

 I forgot to take any photos at the end of Day Four of Sports camp.  After lunch, Mrs. Texan Turned Oregonian took me to Washington where we walked around the city square.  So fun to be in a new state!
 That night I did take a few photos of me and my Huddle Co-Coaches.  We were paired with another person who also co-coached the kids.  Between session of group rally and sports lessons, we had small group time where we shared the gospel.  Loved every minute!  Here's me and my morning co-coach, Poncho!
 And the evening there were less kids, so we often joined forces with others.  Here's me with Speaks and my co-coach Squabbles
 Fun working with these great youth leaders of tomorrow!
On Friday, I set out in search of an adventure that would be stress-free and really just went where-ever the wind blowed as I had no set road map!  This is a photo from atop a street near where the family lived overlooking the city.  So pretty!
 I set out through the Tillamook Forest on a road that twisted, turned, and had breathtaking curves through the tall timber of the forest.
 I arrived in my new car!  
 Just kidding!  I actually visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook, OR.  Near the coast, they let you see cheese being made and let you taste some of their varieties.  The also sold fun varieties of ice cream and other dairy products.  While the ice cream was good, nothing can beat Braum's or BlueBell
 I then noticed there was a lighthouse nearby, so I made the short drive to Cape Meares Lighthouse.  It had breathtaking views of the cliffs.

 Since I was by myself, I was able to squeeze on one of the last tours going on that day!  YAY!
 As I scrounged around some spare change for the viewfinder, I heard the rumblings inside and found that the previous person had not used up all their time.  So I used the rest of their time for free! Win!

 Did I forget to mention it's the shortest lighthouse on the Oregon coast?!  It's because the cliff is so high!
 Notice the rain-soaked clothes.  I learned that true-Oregonians do not carry umbrellas for the rain is light & mostly misty.  Since my umbrella was still in the central time zone, that made me more local!
 After warming up in my car (mind you it's like 50-60 degrees while you Texans were suffering in 100+ heat), I learned the beach was nearby!  So I headed to Oceanside, OR for a dip [of the toes] in the Pacific Ocean!
The city of Oceanside 

 I purposely left my jacket in the car so it'll stay dry and warm!  Here's me slightly wet & cold!
 On my way to get on the Pacific highway to head north, I happened upon this strangely named town, Netarts!  I wonder if that's where Nerds & Sweet-tarts meet?
 After snacking through lunch, I realized that I was hungry.  After googling some local eateries in Seaside, OR, I found Norma's.  This local joint wasn't busy while I was there, but I learned the previous evening's wait was over 45min!  Their Clam Chowder was named one of the Top Ten Best Soups in America and while I normally turn my nose up to hot soup during an even hotter summer, the chill in my bones said otherwise!  Add in a house speciality of shrimp dinner salad and that was on Delish meal!!  YUM!
 I turned northward once more to the lovely town of Astoria as the rain came down a little bit more.  Here's the infamous bridge of the JKG's escapade to the northwest almost twenty-five years ago!
 The bridge connects you to that northern state - Washington!
 I took a little drive and found another strangely familiar town of Ilwaco!
After doing a little more sight-seeing, I was growing tired and decided it was time to trek eastward.  After winding along the Columbia River and crossing into Washington before crossing back to Oregon, I was tired! 
It was a wonderful and exciting trip!  I loved it and it came at the most Providential time!  God, definitely knew I needed this trip away.  It was so perfect too!  The countryside was beautifully different than Tejas, yet I missed the countryside of Texas.  It was great, but I'm glad to be home.

Up High: Fabulous Fourth of July with friends!
Down Low: Little stressed out and overwhelmed at work

2 comments:

darlene said...

Leah, loved hearing about your trip and now seeing pics. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful and also different as you described and showed in photos. :-) So proud of you - an adventure, check off more items on your list and share you love and Christian faith with others -- win, win, WIN.

Joanna said...

So fun! Looks like you have lots of adventures ahead! The pictures are beautiful and loved your self portraits! Your hair is super cute, love the blonde :) Illegal to pump your own gas? Crazy! And I loved your tree-huggin granola commentary. :)