Monday, August 24, 2009

Choo-Choo- Cha-Boogie

Last Monday I had car problems and left it in Grapevine to be fixed. Tuesday around 4 they called to say it'll be this amount of $$$ and parts have to be ordered from dealer. Hoping I'd get my car back Wed night, I arranged for co-workers to pick me up and take me home from work. I called Wed afternoon to get an update only to find that the delivery driver delivered the wrong part. Thursday I bummed rides from my roommate and neighbor to class. Thursday evening they called to tell me the dealer was out of stock, along with every other dealer in the metro leaving it to be overnighted. They also mention they need to check one more thing once it's fixed. Friends picked me up for class on Friday and I ended up spending all afternoon with new friends. Around 4ish I called for an update to find it getting fixed. At 5:30 they inform me of another problem that needs attention as well as that they close at 6 and won't open until Monday. I discussed numerous solutions with others ranging from asking friends, renting a car, or meeting in Gainesville to get my dad's car. I suddenly thought of the Heartland Flyer Saturday afternoon which left FTW in 45 min. (btw, it only runs once a day). I call a friend and jot down the train station address. I hurriedly packed a few items thinking I'd be in OKC for a night. Train leaves at 5:25 downtown, my friend picks me up in the street at 5:05. (Most of you should know I despise being late for things). We arrive at 5:16 and I race into the terminal to pick up my ticket. I grab my ticket for Ardmore (b/c that's where my parents reserved) and run to get on the train. Mind you, I'm carrying my backpack, and bag running down the platform somewhat waving and yelling to the guy that I'm coming. He sees me, takes my ticket, and checks ID while the train begins to back up. PTL there's no security to go through! After switching tracks, he opens the door, pushes me in, and tells the Captain to go. That's right, I was the VERY last passenger on board. Breathing heavy from my running, I call my friend telling her that I got on and thanks again. I arrive in Ardmore and am treated to a dinner by my fabulous parents. They hug me and send me on my way south about an hour later. Whew! What as whirwind! Here's a pic of my on the train.

When my mom made the reservations, they told her I probably wouldn't make it, I just about didn't think I'd make it. When we arrived at the station, no one was on train's platform. My dad still thinks there's video of me circulating on youtube of me running to catch the moving train.
So for now, I have the red roller skate and my car's still in the shop. Earliest would be Wednesday - oh vey!

Up High: having fabulous parents who would let me drive their car
Down Low: the longer they keep my car, the more it is. oh the life of an adult.

3 comments:

darlene said...

Leah -- what a fun story. Not fun for you but fun for the rest of us to read. Glad you got everything worked out with your parents!

Anna and the boys said...

Oh cars-fun to have but also can evil once in the hands of mechanics! :) Hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

I actually had to take that from FTW to OKC last summer. I spent the weekend after Indian Falls Creek with a friend outside Fort Worth bc they had Ranger tickets. I know exactly the platform you are talking about and can picture your story in my head. :) PTL for even random things like the Heartland Flyer.