Friday, March 23, 2012

Spontaneous Texas Road Trip

 There are somethings I dearly love about Texas.  Part of it is the wonderful people that I meet.  And the adventures I take.  You might remember me taking a 500 miles road trip to nowhere in Florida where we watched the sun rise & set, crashed a wedding, and met some locals.  That has inspired me to take advantage of being spontaneous and adventuresome.  Last Friday, I received a call from Miss ETB asking me to have a little fun and adventure.....tonight.  I threw caution to the wind and agreed.  She drove.  I booked the hotel online.  And off we go.
 Taking I-35 to Georgetown and the toll road around Austin - we attempted to avoid the interstate as much as possible after that.  Somewhere south of Smithville, maybe north of Cistern, I spotted this road and immediately needed a pic!
 We arrived at our first destination: Shiner.  We grabbed dinner at the beautiful old place, Shiner Bar and Restaurant.   They had the best sweet tea - not too sweet but just right!  Miss ETB decided upon the 'World's Greatest Sandwich" - That's a BLT and chicken fried steak sandwich served club style.  Whoa!

 After moseying around the town, we drove on through Hallettsville towards Schulenburg where we stopped for the night.  But first we had to stop at Wally World.  I'm pretty sure this was the first non-supercenter one I'd been to in quite some time.  When I said spontaneous, I'm not sure you fully understood.  I mean, didn't have time to pack, stopping at Wally world for toothbrushes and deodorant type of trip.  win!  Good thing I had a random change of clothes still in my car.
 Miss ETB had to get some gum out of the candy machine of course.
 The next morning we woke early and got some yummy breakfast courtesy of the hotel.  I love TEXAS and their Texas-shaped waffle irons!
 Back on the FM and state highways, we headed north to La Grange - home of my ancestors (some of them)
 And headed north to where my great, great, grandmother went to school.  Baylor University in Independence.  So pretty.  The rolling hills combined with the breathtaking bluebonnets made it picturesque!  Oh and did I mention this was also on my thirty things list?  #4!

 In case you've never been, the famous ruins are at the girl's campus.  The boy's campus is on another hillside.

 I love this pic of Baylor colors in the wildflowers!

 We then headed north again to Snook for this:
 That's right.  Call your cardiologist, that's Chicken Fried Bacon!  Sodolak's Country Inn has been featured on Food Network, Food Paradise, and a dozen other shows. 
 While winding our way to the next stop, we get stopped by a train.  In the middle of nowhere.  It's unending.  So what do we do.  Get out and get some fresh air! 

 Our last stop on the tour took us to Cocomoda in Calvert.  A cutesy chocolatier's place where truffles are made.  While it was good, I'm not a fan of expensive truffles.  Great atmosphere for a cute little town though.
 It was an exhausting and fun-filled trip!  So glad I did it on the fly and might do it again.  Maybe.  On my way in effort to avoid Spring Break traffic, I took the back way and came across this breath-taking meadow of bluebonnets.  *sigh* so beautiful!

Up High: Fun weekend seeing beautiful countryside and small towns of Texas.  AND my bears are BOTH in the Sweet 16!  Sic'em!
Down Low: On call this week ;\

3 comments:

darlene said...

What fun and a wonderful memory. Love the pictures.

Joel and Christy said...

I love it Leah!! Oh to be spontaneous sooo fun! I am so glad you had a great time.

Kelli @ A Deeper Joy said...

La Grange was in my district in high school. We always played them and lost bc they had a good football team. Love the pics! You do such exciting, fun things Leah!